Origins 3×3 Basketball
The International Basketball Federations (FIBA) states that streetball is the number one urban team sport. It wasn’t until 2007 that they established rules for the 3×3 format. 3×3 Basketball made its debut during the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore 2010. As of 2012, FIBA annually organises world and continental tournaments for countries and a “World Tour” contested by clubs.
World rankings are not only split between men and women, but also added up in combined form. This shows that this is a global game, with less established basketball nations such as Mongolia, Poland and Romania currently in the top 10.
As early as the 1970s, 3×3 tournaments were held in the US. The so-called “Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament” is still held annually in 75 cities, with more than 200,000 players participating.The most lucrative league currently is the “BIG3”, co-founded by rapper and actor O’Shea Jackson, better known as Ice Cube. Founded in 2017, he has attracted big names, sponsorship deals, and a lucrative broadcasting contract with CBS to the tournament.
Rules of 3×3 Basketball
As the name suggests, two teams of three players play against each other. The games take place on half a basketball court on one basket. Furthermore, these are important rules that differ from traditional basketball:
- There is one official ball, with the weight of a man’s ball and the size of a woman’s ball;
- Official games last 10 minutes or until a team scores 21 points;
- There is a 12 second shot clock instead of 24 seconds. Within this time, a team must score or make a scoring attempt;
- There is no three-point line, but a two-point line. Each score behind this line is worth two points, each score inside counts for 1;
- There are no personal fouls, but team fouls;
- As soon as a team scores a goal, the other team can continue immediately by dribbling or passing the ball. As soon as a team has been outside the two-point line, it may score again.
This last rule in particular creates the dynamic and spectacular game that 3×3 basketball is known for.